This adventurous journey with FairMail Peru’s teenager photographers leads you to one of the most authentic regions of Peru’s northern Andes. The small mountain city of Huamachuco is situated in an inter-Andean valley and makes an ideal starting point to visit high altitude lakes, natural hot springs, rural countryside and impressive pre-Inca ruins. During this tour you will travel across the dry coastal strip of Peru and up to the Andes Mountains.
One of the goals of this trip is to capture on camera the beauty provided by the surroundings and turn this beauty into a source of income for the FairMail teenagers! Because of its remoteness, the destinations on this trip are hardly visited by tourists which means an adventurous journey off the beaten track with plenty of shooting opportunities.
The journey starts in the friendly fishing village of Huanchaco, where the residents still fish in the graceful reed fishing boats, a tradition that goes back many centuries. In Huanchaco you will have the opportunity to get used to the Peruvian lifestyle. You can relax on the beach or take some surfing lessons. You can visit the various attractions in the area, like the largest pre-Columbian mud city of Chan Chan, the former capital of the Chimu Empire and the various pyramid temples of the Moche culture. Most importantly, in Huanchaco you will meet the FairMail teenagers and get a glimpse of their daily life. You will also visit FairMail office which is the heart of our activities, where most of our pictures are taken!
After two days of acclimatization in Huanchaco, we leave the coast and reach Huamachuco, in the heart of the Andes. The small city, whose architecture still shows the signs of its pre-Incan and Spanish past, is situated in a lush green valley. It also serves as a hub to visit the nearby mountain lakes. Our next stop will be the village of Curgos where we will visit the thermal baths and work on some photography exercises in this typical Andean setting. This place has an authentic beauty and that is just what we need for our pictures!
Our hikes are an interesting opportunity to learn more about the nature and the people who live there. Because the residents of this area are hardly in contact with tourists, you will be touched by their genuine hospitality.
- English speaking guide (owner of FairMail)
- All overnight stays in a shared room in hostels.
- All meals, except the first, second and last day in Huanchaco
- Transport during basic program
- Entrance fees during basic program
- Bus station or Airport pickup in Huanchaco
- Lunch meeting with the FairMail teenagers before departure
- Preparation Package
- Project contribution (€ 165)
- Flight to Peru (from Europe from 850 euro)
- Transport by bus or airplane from Lima to Huanchaco (from 20)
- Airport pick-up Lima (from 10 euro)
- 1 overnight stay in Lima (from 15 euro)
- Any (taxi) transport besides the basic program
- Food en drinks besides the 3 daily meals.
- Photography equipment
- Optional tours around Huanchaco